Sunday, January 12, 2014

New Year's in Dubai

     Yes, I admit this was not one of my best ideas... Against people's recommendations we decided to go celebrate the New Year in Dubai, watching the Burj Khalifa fireworks.

     We decided that we are brave enough to fit in with the crowds and that it must be an experience worth having., my husband and my mother-in-law, armed with patience and the expectancy of huge crowds, headed towards our destination. We were inspired enough to leave our car as far out from the city as possible and take the train. Us and another 20000 people! Luckily we got our tickets rather quick, considering the masses that were more or less aligned, and off we went towards the Dubai Mall station.

     Everything seemed to work just perfectly and we were 'this' close to snapping at our friends who advised us against going there...Until we got there... It took a while to realize that all those arrows indicating the direction of fireworks were nothing but a cheap trick to keep us going the longest way possible, round and round throughout the mall, as to disperse the crowds instead of having everyone in the same point at the same time. Which eventually happened, there was no way around it....that is what happens when you bring 1.7 million people together in a rather restrained space...

    There was no way of getting into the Dubai Fountain space, as it was already closed by the time we got there and every other place we ended up in seemed to be really weird, as there was no proper view of the Burj Khalifa building... like where all the magic was going to happen. After endless rounds with the crazy crowds, we gave up and settled in on the boulevard behind the mall, where we had a pretty decent view of most of the tower, even though it lacked the festive atmosphere.

    We were still in a pretty good mood, gazed at the 5-minute firework display sans sound effects, then had to swim through the crowds back into the mall. Luckily we got a table at the 'Cheesecake Factory' and a rather drunk, Moldavian waiter, so we finally got a little food and had the yummiest cheesecake ever!

     Again, thinking we were smarter than the world, we spent a couple of hours strolling around before heading to the train station, thinking we would cheat most of the crowds... Oh, how very wrong we were... by the time we got to the station, there was complete chaos and no way to get back... it took about one hour to get into said station and then a bit longer till we reached our train.

     And that is when things got really bad. We only managed to get one seat, for my mother-in-law, after I literally told  a younger man to let her sit. What would have normally been a max 15 min train ride, converted into an hour and a half measure of torture, with the train that kept breaking down every time it would advance to another station, people that were either screaming angrily or sleeping carelessly on the floor of the compartment... and us, taking turns on our little seat... snoozing on and off...

     We still had another hour or so to drive home, so our adventure ended around 5:30 in the morning, on the brand new year of 2014!

     Here are some nice and not so nice  photos of our New Year's Night!


Unknown said...

That's a lot of people!! I'm gad you found a way to have fun no matter what though ;-)

toytulip said...

I think it's pretty awesome when we can make the best of a seriously crappy, spending the next day by the pool really helped lift our moods! :D

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.